Case Study - Quantity Surveying - Education, State
Ref: PW/01/6’08 Piers Willmott – Head of QS & Building Surveying
To provide the Middle School client with full project and financial management of their building development project from inception to completion. This project being one of a number in the region carried out by Kirkby and Diamond
- To ensure successful planning and other conditions are in place.
- To ensure Budgets and cost plans are based on the best possible known information and are priced out in detail to provide an accurate figure.
- To select the appropriate construction firms to tender
- To ensure the tender package is clear and comprehensive
- To select the most favourable bid
- To control costs during construction
- To achieve speedy final account settlement within reported figures
- To provide comprehensive management information compliant with the Local Authority requirements for Head Teacher Managed projects
- To complete financial as well as health and safety risk assessments in accordance with the Local Authority requirements
- Met with the client and designers at an early stage to go through the proposals in detail, element by element
- Tested the market to find the right tenders
- Obtained all design information before tender
- Interrogated the information and checked all tender documents
- Fully analysed the tenders and considered all options and qualifications
- Fully project managed the scheme to ensure a successful on-site construction phase
- Stayed on top of the job and maintained dialogue with the client, contractor and designers
- Allocated sufficient time to agree variations as the work proceeded and kept the pressure on the contractor to provide information.
Kirkby & Diamond’s thorough understanding of the project management and procurement process and a sound knowledge of construction costs based on many years’ experience and a wide range of current projects meant that the Client was fully aware of the financial commitment at all stages of the project.
Final costs were agreed with the Contractor within previously reported figures.
“Kirkby & Diamond project managed our recent extension to the main hall. From the first meeting I received excellent service and sound professional advice. There was good regular open communication throughout and they delivered on time and within budget. I would highly recommend other schools to use Kirkby & Diamond” – Head Teacher